Meaningful Engagement and Active Support (Orange)
Target Group: Direct care workers, case managers, coordinators, volunteers, carers and anyone who provides care and/or support to people with intellectual disability, people with adverse life histories, people with complex communication needs and/or people with sensory processing difficulties.
What is meaningful to you? What is meaningful to the people you support? Are they able to tell you what is meaningful to them?
It can be difficult to determine what is meaningful for each individual, particularly for people with intellectual disability, people with adverse life histories, people with complex communication needs and/or people with sensory processing difficulties.
This training specifically looks at the use of very practical strategies and tools to assist support workers and carers to explore and to determine what is meaningful to the individuals they support. This training explores meaningful engagement through the lens of the person and provides specific training in understanding and applying the philosophy of person centred practice.
Participants in this program will:
- Develop an understanding of the philosophy and policy context of Person Centred Practice, Active Support and Meaningful Engagement.
- Develop the knowledge and skill to create authentic Person-Centred supports based on a deeper understanding of the people they support and what is meaningful to them.
- Develop skills in how to apply Person-Centred approaches to people who are unable to communicate using verbal communication.
- Develop the knowledge and skills required to develop ‘attunement’ and positive engagement with individuals who are historically reluctant to engage with others and/or who demonstrate behaviours of concern.
- Develop the knowledge and skills that will support them to assist individuals to participate more actively and meaningfully in their own lives.
Develop practical tools in a workshop-style environment based on the needs of the individuals they support (e.g. profiling, communication support tools, using Person-Centred thinking tools).
Experience meaningful engagement, active support and attuned interactions for themselves through participation in a variety of fun and easily replicable activities, which can be imbedded directly into their work with the individuals they support.
Workshop ideas for adapting activities and interactions to encourage the meaningful engagement and participation of people of all levels of ability.
Some of the many benefits of meaningful engagement for the individuals you support:
- Increased participation in all daily activities
- Increased opportunities for meaningful engagement
- Increased opportunities for skill development
- Increased sense of belonging and self-worth
- Increased opportunities for developing communication and interaction skills
- Increased meaningful interactions with others
- Increased opportunities for participation in the community
- Meaningful engagement over time can result in a reduction in behaviours of concern
- Experience of improved quality of life
Presenter: Ben Cox (Clinical Consultant / Certified Practising Speech Pathologist)
Dates: Wednesday 20 September 2017
Time: 9:00am for 9:30am start – 4:30pm
Location: Orange Ex-Services Club, 231-243 Anson St, Orange NSW 2800